Monday 26 November 2007

Mile of String... 2007!

After experimenting further with my string installation in my laundry utility room, and after a rather luke-warm reception of the idea in the last group meeting, I decided to change my idea a little... To be more precise, I decided to change the location for my installation. Group members generally agreed that the public participation element of Duchamp's original Mile of String added to its interest, and that my re-creation would be more effective if it were in a more public space. I also took in to account the fact that the final outcome of our project is to involve a presentation, and simply showing photos of the installation in my utility room would not be all that exciting... I therefore came to the conclusion that the most effective method of conveying the experience of the Mile of String would be to make the actual installation my presentation. I would install the string in the Casket Space, where the presentation is to be held! I proceeded to buy large amounts of string, got hold of a staple gun and went to college earlier this evening after classes had finished, and set up the string in the Casket Space with the help of my assistant...
I documented the process from start to finish on my digital camera, and below are the images in order from the earliest to the final result...














































I also made a short film of moving through the string, as the photos do not convey the 3D sense of the structure as well as moving image does... Here it is:

No comments: