Wednesday 4 March 2009

More image research

Here are some more images I sourced from the internet showing the style of lighting I have in mind for my sign. I want a retro look for it bringing to mind the lighting seen in fun fairs, carnivals, American motels and diners and of course Las Vegas, and theatres back in the 30s, 40s and 50s.
I have discovered that the lettering lighting style that I'm after is known in the industry as channel lettering, or cabochon lighting. Channel letters are the 3D letterforms which can contain either neon tubing or individual bulbs. These can either be exposed, or covered with a translucent material like acrylic. Cabochon lighting is the name given to the faceted bulbs (cabochons) that are commonly seen in fun fairs. Cabochon bulbs can also be used in channel lettering - without a top covering on the letter the intricately faceted bulbs can reflect off the inner surfaces of the letters which can be polished to enhance this effect.





























No comments: