Friday 1 May 2009

Issues.... and resolutions!

Oz, the club promoter informed me earlier this week that he's now in the middle of a family emergency, and as a result no longer has the budget to pay for the venue and acts.

This was a big blow, but in order to salvage the night (and my project) I have decided to take on the mantle of co-producer along with my other design and promotion duties to get everything back on track.
Without a proper budget we needed to find a new venue which would not charge us for the space. On Wednesday I attended our end of year exhibition fundraiser party "We Are 3" at Favela Chic - a venue in Old Street. I'd not been there before, and on arriving immediately thought that it could be perfect for Theatre of the Divine...
Behind the bar there's even a porcelain Virgin Mary and a cluster of iron crucifixes which set the tone perfectly for my scared heart sign!

I spoke to Jaan who used to work at Favela Chic and had booked the space that night and he introduced me to Dani who runs bookings. I described the night to her and she was very excited by the idea of having a cabaret club in the space and thought it would work really well. She also loved the idea of the sign and said it won't be a problem fixing it to their wall. Best of all, there's no charge! I can keep what we make charging guests on the door, and Favela Chic get the bar takings.

I took her number and set to finding new acts - the ones Oz had booked originally were not willing to take reduced pay and so we've lost them. I contacted two of my favourite burlesque performers that I've seen over the years (Vicky Butterfly and Kitty Bang Bang) and described the event to them, and they were both really interested in being involved and have agreed to perform! After checking their available dates I called Favela Chic and have secured a booking for the 27th of May.
Things are back on track!

I am now working on new and updated flyer and poster designs to send to Favela Chic to post on their website.

No comments: