Monday 11 May 2009

Laser cuting file

I've just been sent the laser cutting file from Remco made from my original document. Rhys is going to elongate the "E" of DIVINE enough to accommodate three bulbs on the top and bottom horizontal sections rather than two as we both agree this will look better.
The image at the top is side section view of the sign showing how the aluminium letters will be mounted on top of the heart.



Although Remco had been aware of my project for some time they were not able to begin work on it until they'd been given the word go by Imageworx, via me. As I was waiting for the final quote from Imageworx this slowed the whole process up. As a result, a few details of the sign have been altered (after discussion between myself and Rhys at Remco) in order to save time and ensure that the sign is complete before my deadline.

The beams radiating from the heart are not going to be made from neon anymore - I have been told that a qualified neon technician is required to install neon (something that I would have thought Imageworx could have let me know from the start) and this will add hassle, time and expense to the project, especially considering that it is not going to be permanently installed in one place as most neon lights usually are. Neon tubes would also have to be made specially which would add a lot of time to the manufacturing process. I have agreed to compromise by using fluorescent tubes instead covered with red gels. They will not be able to be sequenced, unfortunately, as fluorescent tubes flicker when turned on and cannot be made to flash in a controlled way, but the bulbs surrounding the heart and in the DIVINE letters will both have their own sequences. The beams will emit a static glow which I think will accompany the flashing bulbs nicely.

The DIVINE letters are also going to be slightly different than originally planned - they are no longer going to be 3D "channel" letters with he bulbs in an enclosed interior. This would require the cut aluminium to be mechanically folded into the correct shape which takes a lot of time. They will instead be laser cut from a thicker sheet of polished aluminium, creating a flat, but thicker and shinier letter. The bulbs will then be mounted on top of these letters as shown above.

No comments: